Though most dogs are loving, gentle beings, the unfortunate reality is that many dogs are poorly trained, neglected, or just plain aggressive. If you were attacked by a dog, you should contact a Houston dog bite lawyer here at our firm. We are here to fight for your rightful compensation.
Houston Dog Bite Lawyer | Here to Help Dog Attack Victims
Dog bite lawsuits are frequently complex legal matters. Our firm is well-versed in dog bite law and we have handled countless dog bite claims in the past. Millions of people are attacked by dogs every single year, and if you’re one of them, you need legal counsel who cares.
The “One Bite” Rule in Texas
When a person is attacked by a dog unprovoked in Texas, the state will typically follow the “one bite” rule. Essentially, in many cases, if this is the dog’s first attack and the owner had no reason to expect the dog would attack, the victim will often not have a valid claim. However, you may have a case if you were attacked and can prove that dog has attacked a person in the past and the dog owner either knew or should have known of the dog’s propensity for violence or aggressiveness.
If a dog has previously attacked a person, its owner must take the necessary actions to keep control of the dog and ensure it doesn’t attack anyone again. If a dog owner failed to do so and you were attacked, you should reach out to our Houston personal injury attorneys as soon as you can. You should note, however, that if the dog owner can prove that you were either trespassing or you otherwise provoked the dog to attack in some way, you may not have a valid claim.
Steps to Follow After a Dog Attack
Dog attacks can be incredibly traumatic and deal serious physical and emotional damage. In many cases, it’s impossible to do anything until an ambulance arrives. However, if you can, you should take certain steps to document the incident and ensure you receive medical treatment at once. If you can, try to take the following actions:
- Seek medical treatment at once. Call the police for an ambulance if necessary.
- Obtain the dog owner’s contact information, as well as the contact info of anyone who saw the attack.
- Take pictures of your injuries.
- Keep a copy of medical documentation pertaining to your injuries.
- Hire a Houston dog bite lawyer who can help gather additional information to help you win your personal injury claim. Some of this information can include reports from neighbors about the dog’s behavior, surveillance footage of the attack, and veterinarian records regarding the dog’s temperament and medical condition.
Contact a Houston Dog Bite Lawyer
A dog attack can have a profound and lasting impact on a person’s life. If you were attacked by a dog and you are looking to hold the dog owner accountable for his or her actions, you need compassionate and aggressive legal counsel in your corner. Contact us today so we can get started.