Train accidents can cause severe injuries and even deaths to those involved. If you or a loved one has faced the consequences of a train accident, do not wait to reach out to our firm today to speak with a dedicated member of our legal team about your case and options. Our Houston personal injury attorneys are on your side no matter what you are facing.
What steps should I take after a train accident?
Keep in mind that your first priority after any accident should be your health and safety. If you can safely stay exactly where you are until emergency medical personnel arrive, you should do so. Any unneeded action can make your injuries worse. See medical treatment as soon as possible, whether at the hospital, an urgent care facility, or your personal physician. The longer you wait for treatment, the greater the risk that your injuries will be more damaging and the more likely it will be that your legal rights will be negatively affected. Make sure you obtain documentation from your doctor outlining the severity and origin of your injury.
After you received the medical care you need, hire a skilled personal injury lawyer. Your attorney will take prompt actions to gather, evaluate, and preserve critical evidence in your case so that it does not get lost or compromised. Your attorney will also seek to get witness statements right away before memories begin to fade or witnesses disappear, relocate, or pass away.
If you are able, take time at the scene of the accident to collect contact information from anyone else injured in the accident, as well as any potential witnesses. Take photos of everything, including your injuries, any property damage, the conditions of the railroad tracks and roadway, and even the weather conditions.
What kinds of damages can the injured party recover?
If you or a loved one suffers injury in a train accident, you can seek full and fair compensation for:
- Lost wages, salary, or income
- Loss of companionship or consortium
- Unreimbursed or uninsured medical expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life—the ability to engage in activities that bring you joy, meaning, or fulfillment
- Physical pain and suffering
- Property losses not covered by insurance
If your loved one passes away in a railroad accident, you have the right to recover damages for:
- All financial support they would have provided you
- The loss of companionship, consortium, guidance, nurturing, and affection as a result of the accidental death
- Any unpaid or unreimbursed medical expenses your loved one incurred as a result of the accident
- All funeral and burial expenses
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED HOUSTON PERSONAL INJURY FIRM
If you require legal representation for personal injury matters, look no further than The Gonzalez Law Group. Schedule your initial consultation with our team to learn more about our services and how we can assist you. Contact us today.