You may want to pursue legal action if you were injured as a result of another’s negligence. The first step to receiving the compensation you need to heal is scheduling an initial consultation with one of our experienced Houston personal injury attorneys. Continue reading to learn more about what you will need to do to prepare for your first meeting.
What documents should I bring to my initial consultation with my attorney?
In order to commence the claims process, you will need to schedule an initial consultation with an attorney to provide them with information about your case. To ensure that your first appointment is successful, it is important that you take several different documents with you to familiarize your attorney with your claim. If you can, bring the following:
- Evidence of accident, including photos and videos from the accident, witness statements and contact info, etc.
- Medical documents describing the extent and origin of your injuries
- A written interpretation of the events of your accident and subsequent events
- Receipts documenting any medical costs you have incurred
- Statements detailing how much work you have missed, resulting in lost wages and opportunities
- A copy of the police report
- Relevant insurance information– health, car, etc.
- A list of questions to ask your attorney
What will my attorney ask me in my first meeting?
Like it is important for you to bring questions to your meeting for your attorney to answer, it is just as important for your attorney to ask you questions to help them better understand your case. You should try to be ready to respond to the following:
- What is your official prognosis according to your doctor?
- Have you ever filed a personal injury claim before?
- How have your injuries impacted your everyday life?
- Have you given a statement to your insurance company?
- Have you had any correspondence with the other party or their insurance company?
- If so, bring a copy of this correspondence
How long do I have to file a personal injury claim in Texas?
The state of Texas has a two-year statute of limitations for more personal injury claims. This means that if you miss this deadline, you will lose the ability to recover the compensation you need to heal. That is why it is critical to act fast if you want to take legal action and the first step in doing so is scheduling your initial consultation. Do not wait to reach out to The Gonzalez Law Group today. Our legal team is prepared to walk you through each step of this process.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED HOUSTON PERSONAL INJURY FIRM
If you require legal representation for personal injury matters, look no further than The Gonzalez Law Group. Schedule your initial consultation with our team to learn more about our services and how we can assist you. Contact us today.